Thursday, July 20, 2006

Arlington National Cemetery

Today we went to Arlington with Spencer and Kari. When we pulled up Annie Kate said, "What we are coming here again!" It was the hottest day I think since we moved here. So we decided to buy tickets to the sightseeing bus. Annie Kate below kissing the tickets because she is so happy she does not have to walk it. Caroline was most impressed with the soldiers guarding the tomb of the unknown soldier. She was asleep last time and missed it. We were by the bathrooms when the changing began and they come out that side of the building, so we sat down and they walked right past us. Caroline could not get her eyes of him. When we cam home she kept telling Jeff about the "Sodurs" She now marches all the time. We also learned on our tour that only 540 men and women have apart of the elite group that guard the tomb and that there is a height and waist requirement . You have to have a 28" waist. Can I just say again how impressed I am with Paul Widman!!
We also saw a full honors funeral passing by. I was brought to tears. You are not allowed to take photos, but boy did i want to. It was beautiful the way the full band, dressed in white, marched, the coffin covered with an american flag placed on a old black wagon (it looked just like the one they used for Kennedy's funeral) pulled by horses. They have an average of 28 funerals there a day. Too many for sure. It sparked a lot of questions from Annie Kate about the war many I had no idea how to answer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

I'm a random stranger who happened on your other blog at some point. The reason I am commenting (I'd normally be a silent lurker) is because I actually have pictures from a full honors funeral at the Arlington Cemetery which you can find on my blog (linked on my profile) in the July 2005 archive. You're welcome to steal a few if you'd like. It sounds like you're enjoying the city, keep it up.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I have uploaded all of my pictures from the funeral I attended at Arlington Cemetery to my smugmug account (which is indeed fantastic, I just got it and hope to post all of the pictures I have taken in the last year or so soon. Quite the ambitious undertaking if I say so myself.) You might notice a few of the people in the pictures: Gen. Myers spoke and Donald Rumsfeld came to pay his respects. It was so amazing.

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home