Korean War Memorial


Tonight we went to the Korean War Memorial. Something Jeff and I knew very little about. I was so moved by two of the engravings on the memorial. (pictured above)What am I willing to do for someone I have never met. We were amazed at the number of people that died.
The statues depicting fighting men on patrol represent the army, navy, Marine Corps, and air force working together for a common goal - victory. A granite mural of over two thousand sandblasted photographs honors the supporting services who provided supply, medical, spiritual, and fire support to the frontline units. The United Nations Wall on the opposite side lists the countries that provided troops, medical support, or supplies to help South Korea. These were: Australia, Belgium, Canada, Columbia, Denmark, Ethiopia, France, Greece, India, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Republic of Korea, South Africa, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, and the United States of America. All these elements point toward the Pool of Remembrance where the sacrifice of 54,246 American lives can be contemplated. It is here where an inscription summarizes the true meaning of the memorial
"OUR NATION HONORS HER SONS AND DAUGHTERS WHO ANSWERED THE CALL TO DEFEND A COUNTRY THEY NEVER KNEW AND A PEOPLE THEY NEVER MET."
Photos of us visiting the Memorial

2 Comments:
Annie Kate's expression is priceless. She'll appreciate all these things when she's older, but it's cool that you're exposing her to them all now.
I LOVE the Korean Memorial. I love the faces or lack thereof on the men. My favorite time to visit this is at night when it is dark and the lights are shining on the guys. They look like they are walking through rice fields. Oh.. I have chills.
Post a Comment
<< Home