Vietnam War Memorial

I didn't realize how emotional this memorial would be. I am sure it would have been even more so if I wasn't with the kids. It made Jeff and I wanting to come back soon on our own to do a lot more reading of the history and meaning of these memorial.As we were walking down there was a girl in her mid 20's with a boyfriend walking toward the memorial. She stopped off and looked at the book of all the names and you could tell was looking one up. She had three sunflowers in her hand. I watched her walk down the black wall and find the name. She was silent and ran her fingers across it. She gave her boyfriend a hug and then left a flower and walked away. The memorial came alive for me tonight.
I don't know if it really sunk in to Annie Kate what it was. I hope over the next four years it will. I look forward to posting about this again over the years and see how Annie Kates reacts each time. I do love the above photo of her looking at it though.
Photos of us visiting the memorial

1 Comments:
I'm sure visiting this memorial made things very real for you. I'm always detached from things like that until I see a photo or read the names and then feel overwhelmed with sadness and gratitude.
Post a Comment
<< Home